Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Potential

"the kid could be something"
intelligent and unambitious
an uncollectible prize;
they say ignorance is bliss
but happiness doesn't comply
and nothing often follows
a promising start.

"the kid could be something"
athletic and timid
an unequipped talent;
I say maturity takes hold
but squeezes too hard
and desire mimics the body
where it lives.

"the kid could be something"
resolute and pensive
an undecided saint;
God says they're welcome
but faith is a ticket
and face paint doesn't make
a true fan.

I'm here
behind bars that I made
with the tools I was given.
am I grown?
am I groaning? too much?
does it matter? to me?

1 Comments:

At 10/4/06 8:12 AM, Blogger david said...

in case you're wondering:
you've just read my first attempt at poetry since sometime in middle school (yes, that was the 80s). I got inspired after I read the work of a friend who I consider pretty talented. Ok, I'm not as talented, but at least it was cathartic. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home